I was enjoying the dawn of weekend and it suddenly occurred to me that farmers market was open on that day. I could cook healthy food for breakfast and keep myself healthy. When I went to the market and got back with Kale and other leafy vegetables, my Bearded dragon saw Kale and showed sparkling eyes as if he wanted to taste it. I didn’t know if Kale is safe for dogs, so I had to research and this article will help you with my findings.
Can bearded dragons eat kale? The answer to this question is yes. Kale, a leafy green vegetable, can be fed to bearded dragons on occasion. However, it should not be the main food that you feed them with because it’s not their staple food.
Kale is a green leafy vegetable that my bearded dragon can eat but I only feed him the occasional bite or two of it because he isn’t really used to eating greens and they don’t make up his staple food.
Let’s see what happens if my pet bearded dragon ate kale excessively, what symptoms to look for and when to contact vet and how to prevent bearded dragon eating kale again.
What Is Kale?
Kale is a leafy green vegetable that has been around for centuries. People have used it to make different dishes, such as soups and salads, as well as using kale in medicine. Kale is a good source of vitamins A, C and K.
Kale can be eaten raw or cooked. It has a strong taste so it needs to be mixed in with other ingredients like pasta sauce or salad dressing.
If you’re wondering what’s the difference between kale and cabbage, one main distinction is that while both are leafy greens, kale is typically juicier and has a longer shelf life than cabbage.
What Is Kale Good For?
Kale can be good for your heart because it’s high in fiber and low saturated fat. It also contains omega-three fatty acids which are believed to reduce the risk of coronary artery disease, stroke and arthritis when eaten in regular and moderate amounts.
Kale is also a great source of beta-carotene, which can help protect the cells in your eyes from damage caused by light exposure or aging. It’s recommended to include kale when making green smoothies because it will provide you with more nutrients than other veggie sources such as spinach or lettuce.
Kale has been around for centuries and was originally grown in Ancient Rome. It belongs to the cabbage family of vegetables, which also includes broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and collards.
Kale Nutritional Information
Kale contains a lot of good nutrients that bearded dragons need. These include vitamins A, C and K as well as iron and calcium. Some of these nutrients are found in other vegetables that a bearded dragon can eat.
- Vitamins: Vitamin A is important for the health of their eye tissues, skin cells and bone marrow while vitamin C helps with building healthy muscles, tendons and ligaments. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and bone strength
- Iron: This mineral helps with red blood cells, which are important in transporting oxygen around the body. Bearded dragons need this because they can’t use iron from their food as well as us humans do
- Calcium: Another nutrient that a bearded dragon needs to stay healthy is calcium. This mineral helps with building strong teeth and bones, which can’t be replaced once they’re lost
Can my Bearded Dragon Eat Kale?
Yes! If you offer your bearded dragon some good quality greens – like kale – occasionally then they can eat this vegetable.
However, kale should only be fed to them occasionally as it is not their staple food. In the wild a bearded dragon’s diet will consist of insects and smaller bugs, so while they can have some greens – like kale – as part of their healthy balanced meal plan, you’ll need to make sure that they get enough protein from their food.
Some people think that when they feed kale to a bearded dragon, it can cause it to be too aggressive. There is no scientific evidence of this, but they can’t rule out the possibility either.
Can Beardies Eat Frozen Kale?
It’s possible for bearded dragons to eat frozen kale, but they should only be allowed a small amount. When the food is cooked at room temperature it expands and can lead to bloating or impaction in their digestive system. Feeding them vegetables such as kale that have been canned ensures that there will not be any problems with gas buildup.
Can Beardies Eat Canned Kale?
You can also feed them vegetables such as kale that have been canned, which eliminates the risk of gas buildup. The best way to serve it is by shredding or cutting it into small pieces so it’s more easily digestible for your beardie.
Can Beardies Eat Red Russian Kale?
Beardies can eat red russian kale. As with all vegetables, the key is to feed this type of vegetable sparingly so they don’t become finicky eaters.
Can Beardies Eat Purple Kale?
Beardies can eat purple kale, but it is recommended that you feed them sparingly. Be sure to cut the leaves into small pieces so they are more easily digestible for your beardie before feeding them this vegetable.
Can Beardies Eat Kale Chips?
can bearded dragons eat kale chips? If your bearded dragon has a taste for Kale chips, you might be able to sneak some in! Be careful though because they can’t process sugars as well as humans do, so too many could make them sick.
Can Beardies Eat Kale Stems?
can bearded dragons eat kale stems? Beardies can eat kale stems, but they should only be fed to them as a supplement. It’s best to leave the stem on when cooking it since that will increase their nutritional value.
Can Beardies Eat Kale With Other Vegetables?
can bearded dragons eat kale? Kale is considered one of the vegetables that bearded dragons can eat and many owners will feed it to them on occasion. However, kale should only be fed sparingly because even though they are a vegetable their staple food is not kale. It is better to separate other vegetables from Kale and not dilute the taste and nutrition for your bearded dragon.
Can Beardies Eat Kale And Spinach?
Kale and spinach make for an excellent combination of vegetables that can also be served as a supplement in addition to other greens your beardie might like. It’s best to offer them these two vegetables separately because they are both high in calcium, which could lead to health problems if eaten together.
Can Bearded dragons Eat Kale Everyday?
Kale is one of the vegetables that a bearded dragon can eat. These leafy greens are packed with vitamins and minerals, which make them great for bearded dragons. However, kale should only be fed to them occasionally. Even though kale is a vegetable, it’s not their staple food. When feeding your bearded dragon kales as an occasional snack, make sure to only feed them a couple of leaves. If they eat too much at once it can cause diarrhea or inhibit their digestion process.
The best time to feed your bearded dragon kale is in the morning before eating any other vegetables for that day. Feeding it with other veggies will affect its flavor and texture which can lead to them not wanting to eat it as often.
If you’re unsure about whether or not your bearded dragon should have kale, consult with a veterinarian before feeding them any of these leafy greens. They can tell if that particular vegetable is something that they need more in their diet and what the best way for you to feed it to them would be.
When feeding your bearded dragon kales as an occasional snack, make sure to only feed them a couple of leaves. If they eat too much at once it can cause diarrhea or inhibit their digestion process.
What Should I Do If Bearded Dragons Ate Too Much Kale?
- If a bearded dragon eats too much kale, it can cause digestive issues.
- Feed them less kale until they get back to their regular diet.
- Cut out all other vegetables for the time being and feed salad greens like romaine lettuce and iceberg lettuce instead.
- Give your lizard small meals throughout the day so that they don’t overeat.
- You can also try giving them a treat of mealworms or crickets to help tempt their appetite when they’re hungry.
- If the digestive issues persist, you should consult with your vet about it.
A bearded dragon is one kind of lizard that can eat kale and other leafy greens like salad greens. These veggies can provide a bearded dragon with essential vitamins and minerals that they need to grow healthy, but it is not their staple food. Kale should only be fed occasionally because if too much kale is eaten at one time, then the lizard could experience digestive issues like diarrhea or constipation.
If you notice your bearded dragon has been eating too much kale and they are exhibiting any of the symptoms listed above, then you should cut out all other vegetables for the time being and feed salad greens like romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce instead. You can also try giving them a treat of mealworms or crickets to help tempt their appetite when they’re hungry. If these issues persist, consult with your vet about it.
7 Health Symptoms If Bearded Dragons Ate Kale Excessively
- weakness or lack of energy
- loss of appetite and refusal to eat
- weight loss
- uncoordinated movement (ataxia)
Ataxia can lead to paralysis in advanced cases if not treated right away. Sometimes it also causes seizures.
In some cases where the symptoms persist despite restricting dietary intake and/or providing the lizard with a treat, you may want to consult your vet.
How To Prevent Bearded Dragons From Eating Kale Again?
- As with any vegetables, the bearded dragon’s diet is based on insects and other animal protein sources.
- Keep kale away from the reach of your pet bearded dragon.
- Avoid feeding your bearded dragon kale more than once a week. Bearded dragons should only be fed kale occasionally.
- Give the different types of greens in small pieces if they are being fed to them for the first time. If you want to make sure that it doesn’t end up as food, feed it with tongs and not by hand.
- Tempt Bearded dragon’s appetite by providing more crickets and other insects.
What Can I Substitute Kale For Beardeds Dragons?
Besides kale, there are other vegetables that bearded dragons can eat to get different nutrients from them. Some of these include cabbage, broccoli and lettuce.
- Cabbage: This is a good source of the mineral copper, which can help with making red blood cells and bones stronger. Bearded dragons need this because they are unable to use it from their food as well as us humans do
- Broccoli: Another vegetable that bearded dragons can eat is broccoli. Like kale, broccoli provides a lot of nutrients
- Lettuce: As well as other vegetables, bearded dragons can eat lettuce. This vegetable is good for supplying calcium and protein to their diet
Do Bearded Dragons Like Kale?
Some bearded dragons might like Kale after you introduce them in moderation. But, it doesn’t mean you can keep feeding Bearded dragons Kale. It is not their staple diet and they need more insects in their diet for a healthy life.
However, kale can be used as an occasional treat if your Bearded dragon likes Kale.
Should I Feed Kale To My Pet Bearded Dragon?
Kale is one of the vegetables that a bearded dragon can eat. Yes, you can feed Kale to your pet bearded dragon but only occasionally and in limited quantity. These leafy greens are packed with vitamins and minerals, which make them great for bearded dragons. Can Bearded dragons have Kale? Even though kale is a vegetable, it’s not their staple food; they need more protein in their diet than just veggies.
How Often Can Bearded Dragons Eat Kale?
Bearded dragons can only eat kale once in awhile. Kale is a leafy green that’s packed with vitamins and minerals, which makes it great for bearded dragons. However, kale should only make up a small portion of their diet because they’re not the staple food these reptiles eat all the time.
Varieties Of Kale For Bearded Dragons
Some varieties of kale that are appropriate for bearded dragons include the following:
- Red Russian kale
- Lacinato or Tuscan Kale
- Curly kale
- Purple kale
How Do I Prepare Kale For Bearded Dragons?
can bearded dragons eat kale? Yes, in moderation! Kale can be frozen so that it lasts longer. If you’re going to freeze the kale, then make sure to wash and dry it first before putting in a freezer bag or airtight container. Don’t forget to label your food!
Tools Required For Bearded Dragons To Eat Kale:
- Bowl of water (just in case)
- Raw kale leaves (either store bought or home grown)
- Knife to cut the raw kale into smaller pieces if necessary
- Cutting board for cleaning and preparation of the raw, uncooked food. If using a cutting board, make sure it is clean from any bacteria that can be left behind after preparing other foods.
- A clean cutting knife. Make sure to wash the knives with soap and water before using them for any other food preparation that day
How To Clean Your Cutting Area While Preparing Kale?
Before preparing your raw kale, make sure you set up a work space so it’s easy to clean afterwards. can bearded dragons eat kale? Sure. It is important to use separate utensils or cutting boards for raw food and cooked or other foods.
- Clean your cutting board with soap and water
- Wipe down the area around where you will be preparing the kale to reduce any bacteria that can be left behind after preparing food such as meat, eggs, vegetables, etc.
What Kind Of Knife Do I Need To Cut Kale?
If you’re cutting the raw kale with a knife, then it is important that your knife be clean and not have any bacteria left behind after preparing other foods. Make sure to wash your knives before using them for anything else in order to avoid cross contamination.
Making Kale Part Of A Bearded Dragon’s Diet
Bearded dragons love kale and can eat it once in awhile. can bearded dragons eat kale? Kale is a leafy green that’s packed with vitamins and minerals, which makes it great for bearded dragons. However, you should only give them this vegetable occasionally because they’re not the staple food these reptiles eat all the time.
The best way to prepare kale for bearded dragons is to:
- Cut the raw kale with a clean cutting knife
- Wash and dry your vegetables before freezing them if you plan on doing so. If not, then store in an airtight container or freezer bag. Label it!
Final Verdict On Can Bearded Dragons Eat Kale
I hope this answer helps anyone wondering “can bearded dragons eat kale?” The answer is yes! Kale is a healthy leafy green that can be added to the bearded dragon’s diet. However, it should only be fed occasionally because their staple food is live insects and vegetables which provide more nutrients than kale does.
A popular choice among owners of these reptiles are collard greens which have many similar benefits as kale but offer more nutritional benefits which can make it a better choice for bearded dragons.